Thanks for visiting our blog! My mom taught me that a good meal, made from scratch, can solve just about everything.The recipes on this blog are gentle on tummies, tasty, weight-loss promoting, and can be made without a fuss. Most of them are free of gluten, dairy, corn, and sweeteners. Best of all, they help those that eat them become more patient, more loving, and more kind. Please, keep in touch! Thanks again for visiting.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Barcode Free Shirt

This is different... so far all my posts here have been food-related. But today, I was too hot and had Nothing To Wear. I have one nice, professional short sleeved button down shirt, which is in the laundry. Otherwise, I have some workout t-shirts and a drawer full of turtlenecks. That was not going to cut it in this town, where afternoons are often above 95 degrees in summertime. How did this even happen?

Anyway, I was loathe to spend money on something made in unhappy factory conditions (even at a goodwill). It seems to perpetuate our culture's image of how one should dress... at the expense of others. 

So, instead of heading out to spend a couple of soul-sucking hours in dressing rooms listening to bad music, I decided to make myself a new shirt. I've been dabbling in sewing without a pattern, and today I took the plunge with one yard of fabric I had on hand. Here is the result:


Not a great picture but I highly recommend this style if you want to experiment at home!! I made the top huge enough to fit anyone, then added elastic at the neck and adjusted until it fit. It took 3 hours at most and I'm wearing it to a play tonight.

Happy sewing, friends!!

P.s. Just for fun, when I got home from the play, I used the scraps to make a headband. There went two hours... oops. :) I like the result though! I used the directions in the great book We Love to Sew by Annabel Wrigley to create the Shibori flower. 


No comments:

Post a Comment