Thanks for visiting our blog! My mom taught me that a good meal, made from scratch, can solve just about everything.The recipes on this blog are gentle on tummies, tasty, weight-loss promoting, and can be made without a fuss. Most of them are free of gluten, dairy, corn, and sweeteners. Best of all, they help those that eat them become more patient, more loving, and more kind. Please, keep in touch! Thanks again for visiting.

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Jello Jigglers

I made some tasty jello treats yesterday.


I was inspired by Wellness Mama's healthy gummy bear recipe, but of course made a honey-free version to be as light on the blood sugar as possible. While delicious, the end result didn't seem gummy enough to qualify as "gummy bears." I'll need to do some further testing on these to get to that point because I love gummy bears! But meanwhile, I didn't mind eating half a batch with my breakfast this morning, so I'll share the current recipe with you. Note that this makes a lot! You may want to halve the batch especially if you are hoping it will fit in your silicon molds. 

3 T dried unsweetened hibiscus flowers (I got mine at a Mexican grocery)
3 1/4 c water
1/2 c gelatin
1/2 t salt (or more to taste)
2 T lemon juice
Liquid stevia to taste (I used 8 drops)
Flavor extracts to taste (such as lemon oil and orange oil)

Boil hibiscus flowers and water, and allow to cool (I brought mine to a boil before leaving the house, and it was cool when I came home). Strain to remove flowers and heat 1/2 c to boiling. Combine 1/2 c cooled liquid with the 1/2 c gelatin by pouring slowly and whisking vigorously. Add the boiling liquid and continue whisking, then finally add remaining liquid. I made 3 flavors by dividing the batch and separately adding raspberry flavor, orange oil and lemon oil. I used only the tiniest amount of flavoring (1/8 t perhaps) and it wasn't enough. If you are flavoring the whole batch, add slowly and taste it as you go, but I bet you could get away with 1t flavoring. 

Chill in glass dishes or silicon molds overnight. Wellness Mama suggests greasing the molds with coconut oil, but I skipped that for this light treat. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment